- The documentary on my 52 week sabbatical “Something Like a Sabbatical” is being released in March 2015. Filmmakers Pamela Beere Briggs and William McDonald are working on the final details. Screening information soon.
- View the documentary trailer here: “Something Like a Sabbatical”
- Phase Two of my “52″ journey will be announced soon. “The 52 Project “ will be the newest “Art Make” project of the Riverside Art Museum
- Currently working with filmmakers, Pamela Beere Briggs and William McDonald. They visited the exhibit n November 2013 and then offered to film a documentary on my sabbatical.
- Organizing the “52 weeks” portion of the exhibit as it has been acquired to be archived in the University of California, Riverside library .
- Distributing sold prints…40 “TREES” found homes throughout the United States
- Setting up my studio again after moving it out of the Riverside Art Museum (big job!)
- Starting to formulate my next project…coming together, will share in a few months
December 15 2013 UPDATE
>The “52” exhibit has been extended thru January 5, 2014. Thanks to a grant from the Community Foundation the Riverside Art Museum will be able to offer FREE admissions from Dec 20th thru January 5, 2014.>LA filmmakers have offered to make a short documentary film about my 52-week sabbatical!
>The UCR Library is interested in archiving the 2nd gallery…that exhibits details everything during my 52-week sabbatical. This room-size diary, journal, sketchbook, scrapbook is really resonating with viewers:
“I am exhausted but inspired!”…”The curatorial voice is both loud and calming.”…“inspiring, authentic, engaging, moving, intelligent”…“ It will take me 15 trips to see everything”…“ Moved to tears”…”Super crazy for an exhibit, my eyes were drawn everywhere.”
September 30 2013 MIDNIGHT UPDATE:
My sabbatical is officially over …we installed both galleries over the weekend…it is done…“52″ is up to be seen!!! THE SMILE YOU SEE TO THE RIGHT IS A COMBINATION OF RELIEF AND PURE HAPPINESS! Now I start my museum adventure…Oct 3 – Dec 31. Be sure to go to my blog and get the updates on the installation, opening and all the programming tied to the exhibit.
What an amazing year! Come visit me during the show and you will physically see my journey as I saved everything from the year….sue
Dear Old and New Friends,
On October 1, 2012, I start on an exciting journey to celebrate my 60th year. I will be taking time off from Riverside Personnel Services, the firm I co-founded in 1978, to engage in a year-long arts sabbatical.
The sabbatical will kick-off in October with my first ever exhibit “a love affair” (video) at the RCAA Gallery in Riverside, CA. The year of art will end with a two-gallery show “52″ at the Riverside Art Museum in October 2013.
The following articles will help explain my art adventure…the Press Enterprise’s/ “Sue Mitchell’s love affair” … Riverside Magazine’s/ “A Year of Artistic Discovery” … KCET’s Artbound Series/ “Sue Mitchell’s Year of Art” and a video of the show “a love affair”.
The photo banner above is of the Montezuma Bald Cypress trees at Fairmount Park in Riverside CA …500 steps from my front door. (“as the crow flies”) These trees play a big part in my 52-week project. “Last year I had “a love affair” with rocks…this year it’s trees … “52″ of them!” To read the story behind the love affairs go to my “exhibits” link.
I am hoping that those of you with continued interest in my undertaking will subscribe to my blog (subscription button is at the bottom of this page) giving me some much needed accountability. You don’t even need to read it…I just need to think you are!
I embark on this journey with great excitement and a healthy dose of anxiety. I am determined to enjoy every moment.
Your support ROCKS my world…sue